|So, now that you know more about what polluted runoff is, where it comes from, and how it affects you, what can you do about it? You make choices everyday in your home, at school, and with your money that can effect stormwater pollution.
- Many times people pollute water and don’t know they are doing it. Now that you have the facts about polluted runoff, teach other people about it.
- Wash the family car on the lawn, not on the road or driveway
- Never dump anything down the storm drain! It is meant only for rainwater.
- Take a look at what your school is doing to prevent polluted runoff. Could you and your classmates do more?
- Clean up after your pet! Bring bags along when you walk your dog and encourage others to do the same
- Don’t leave grass clippings and leaves in the street when you help with the yard work. Use them for fertilizer, compost them, or bag them.
- Don’t litter!
- Use water wisely, and encourage others to do the same. Tell your parents that they can collect water from downspouts in rain barrels. This will reduce runoff, as well as the size of the water bill!